Misunderstandings around Danish article

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Nov 8 17:20:03 CET 2003

Hi all!

A few days ago I came up with a statement about an article in a Danish
give-away newspaper called "MetroXpress". I now see that I should have
expressed myself in another and more careful way. It was *not* my intention
to hurt anyone's feelings, and I am very sorry it that happened.

However the reason I wrote what I wrote is:

a)
The mentioned article was said to be about "...the duck's history and
personality...". Niels Houlberg Hansen didn't say that this article was
concentrated about the 1950s and 1960s only, so I assumed that the article
told about the development of the duck's look and personality from the very
beginning in the 1930s until today – in that case it would off course have
been natural to focus on Don Rosa, William van Horn and Marco Rota as well
as the old pioneers and some modern Danish creators.

b)
During my contact and meeting with Danish Disney comics readers like AC
Sivebaek, Thomas P. Lauritsen, Mads Jensen, Soeren Haagerup, Asger Brix
Jensen (whom I have not met in person), and others I have got a clear
impression that typical Danish readers like and respects Don Rosas stories
and also like to read about him.

c)
Even though I know that Tony Strobl drew "King $crooge I" and possibly some
JW-stroies for Barks I see Tony Strobls stories as typical innocent banal
stories made for children. Apparently the Italians does think the same as I
have never seen any giant book dedicated to Strobls work, while there are
many such books with stories by Barks and Gottredson and at least one book
with stories by Murry and one book with stories by Taliaferro. Thus I got an
impression of a wrong focus in the mentioned article when boring Strobl was
mentioned while the leading creators of our own time was not mentioned.

Hopefully you will now see that I didn't write my previous statement to be
harsh or anything.

PS! I do agree 100% with the one who stated that our friend Lars Jensen
should have been mentioned in that article as well - as he is also one of
the most well known present Danish creators, and like Don Rosa he's active
in DCML which shows his respect and interest for the true fans and readers
of Disney comics.

Sigvald