Misunderstandings around Danish article

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Mon Nov 10 11:53:44 CET 2003

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. wrote:

> typical Danish readers like and respects Don Rosas stories and also
> like to read about him.

Not necessarily *continuously*, though.    :-)
(Note the smiley.)

> I see Tony Strobls stories as typical innocent banal stories made for
> children.

Even if they were, I don't think Strobl should be blamed -- he only
*drew* most of those stories. (He didn't write them until the 1980s.)
And besides, Disney comics of the kind we see in the weekly in my
opinion *should* be made for children. If the stories also appeal to
adults, that's just a bonus.

> I have never seen any giant book dedicated to Strobls work

No, but he *does* actually make a few appearances in some of these Big
White Books.

> I do agree 100% with the one who stated that our friend Lars Jensen
> should have been mentioned in that article as well - as he is also one
> of the most well known present Danish creators, and like Don Rosa he's
> active in DCML which shows his respect and interest for the true fans
> and readers of Disney comics.

I think the one who mentioned that name was Lars Jensen himself. And he
only mentioned it to demonstrate how it would have been impossible to
mention every Disney creator ever born in that article. The reporter had
to make a choice on which names to use, and he/she did.

And, to be honest, I don't think I'm "one of the most well-known present
Danish creators". That would probably be Gorm Transgaard or Flemming
Andersen. Or perhaps Per Hedman or Bancells -- although they technically
aren't Danish, I suppose.

But thanks for the vote, though.

Oh, and by the way: I know of several "true fans" of the weekly who have
read it for many many years --and yet are not members of the DCML and
probably have no intentions of becoming so. It's possible to be a fan
and still stand on the outside, looking in.

Lars