DCML Digest, Vol 9, Issue 41 (DuckTales eps)

kimba1962@comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 02:31:09 CET 2003

Matt Williams wrote re "Till Nephews Do Us Part":

<<I remember it being the last new episode aired until the whole Bubba Duck TV
movie ("Time Is Money") aired a good while later.>>

It was.  It originally aired on January 1, 1988.  "Time is Money" didn't make its initial appearance (in the "condensed" two-hour-movie format) until November 1988.

<<I was a pretty dorky
little kid, and I wrote down the episode titles every day until the reruns
started.>>

I was a dorky GRADUATE STUDENT, and I did the same thing!!!   :-P

<<Incidentally, I'm not sure that I can put my finger on it, but
some of those late first season episodes just look different to me.  The
characters look sketchier or something.  Have any of the rest of you noticed
this?>>

I don't know what you mean by "sketchier," but you can tell the earliest episodes by their slower (shading into sluggish, at times) pacing.  "Back to the Klondike" is a perfect example -- compare how quickly that one moves compared to "Till Nephews," a later first-season product.  As the writers and animators became more comfortable with the characters, the pace gradually picked up.  In the second season, of course, it got positively manic at times.

Chris Barat

Matt