Gladstone's luck

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Thu Nov 27 20:58:49 CET 2003

> Ummm, on second thought that's true. There is contradiction btween these two
> stories.
> Well, smooth one-shot stories were always the main goal for Barks, not
> consistent unbroken continuity.

My guess was always that Gladstone took this job because he was bored and
needed something new to do - not for the money - and that he therefor didn't
count it as a job. (that was before I figured out that this story was written
before "Gladstone's terrible secret", though.)

Besides - isn't "selling golden bricks by the bridge" also qualifiable as a
job? And hasn't Gladstone also "worked" for Scrooge, by going on expeditions
for him? I think that Gladstone does this only for the challenge, to get a
break from always getting what he wants (which is terribly boring), and that he
therefor doesn't think of it as "jobs", but just another thing he does on his
spare time.

Oh well.

Another question: Is "Donald's Love Letters" (WDC 111) the first story where
Gladstone shows romantical interest for Daisy? Or would you say that is shown
in "Gladstone returns"? I like thinking of "Donald's Love Letters" as the story
where Donald *figures out* that Gladstone is interested in Daisy, and that it
has been a secret until that very day.. for everybody but Daisy and Gladstone.
Whaddya' think?

Olaf