No Place Like Home

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Oct 4 23:37:47 CEST 2003

Daniel J. Neyer <jerryblake2 at juno.com> wrote:

>> Anyway I now think the reason is that he's
>> reffering to the stories he grew up with
>> some decades ago - before modern creators
>> like Don Rosa, William van Horn, etc. were
>> active.
>
> Actually, I'm a young whippersnapper (turned 19
> in August). The only reason I didn't mention
> Rosa was because I couldn't think of any stories
> of his that showed Scrooge living away from the
> Money Bin.

Oh, oh!! It seems that I have mistaken you for another nice person who
actually mailed me a while ago telling me that he didn't knew Don Rosa as
well as Barks because it was Barks' stories he grew up with some decades
ago. I am very, very sorry for any incenvenience I may have caused for you
here at DCML, lately.

I think your topic is indeed very interesting and can add that "Island at
the Edge of Time" is not the only story in where Don Rosa shows that $crooge
leaves the Money Bin during the night. This also happens in "Gyro's Beagle
Trap" (1995):
http://duckman.pettho.com/gallery/v_beagletrap.html

Thus in Don Rosa's universe $crooge has a place away from the Money Bin in
where he can stay for the night. We know that this is *not* the mansion
showed in "Christmas in Bear Mountain". Based on this I can think of a few
possible locations of such an extra sleeping quarter:
a) The downtown "bin" showed in "The Pied Piper of Duckburg" (1990).
b) The McDuck tower showed in "Insident at McDuck Tower" (1991).
c) One of his local hotels.

Sigvald