Mickey's Birthday and The State of Duck Fandom in the States

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 5 12:59:49 CEST 2003

Matthew:

>>> Oh boy, I know this one!  I feel so important!  Mickey's birthday is
>>> actually November 18.  At least that's what the Walt Disney Studio says
NOW.
>>> I know a lot of books published overseas or in America before the
>>> mid-eighties say Sept. 18.  Do any of the rest of you know why this is?
>>> know the Studio likes to engage in revisionist history from time to
time!

Well, "The Hand Behind the Mouse" (quoted in my previous message) was
co-written by Iwerks' granddaughter and, more significantly, quotes letters
from Walt Disney himself  discussing the recording sessions in New York.
The musicians had trouble synchonizing with the picture. Iwerks eventually
designed a bouncing ball system to help them.
"When Carl Stalling arrived in New York on October 26, 1928, [...] he found
that Steamboat Wilie was done and in the can."

I think this is a pretty reliable source. And anyway, even though the issue
Mickey's creation was confused for some time, I don't see what interest
anyone would have to cheat about something as easy to check as the
premiere's date. Other studios were developing a similar process, but
Disney's sound cartoon was the first to be released.

Olivier