Replies to things Don Rosa wrote, and Scrooge's sleepwear

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 04:16:09 CEST 2003

> Oops, yes, I received your messages in the wrong order, making
> me really
> confused.
> Stefan

No problem, we confused each other, then!  ;)

Don Rosa wrote:
> But let me explain it!
> This art was originally a piece that I did as a birthday
> present for the
> editor on the Finnish ROOPE SETA (Uncle $crooge) digest. He is
> a collector
> of American western comics. So I drew him a parody of my
> favorite western
> comic cover TIM HOLT #17.

Wow, neat!

> Anyway, I later sent the colored image to the Swedish
> Donaldists and they
> added their magazine info to the cover, but did so by
> recreating the style
> used in the original TIM HOLT #17 title and other cover text
> elements
> absolutely perfectly based on a picture of an actual TIM HOLT
> #17 I also
> sent. Perhaps one of them will send in a link to a scan of
> that TIM HOLT
> issue so you can see what a good job they did, and to compare
> my
> $crooge/Goldie version to the original Ghost Rider/Victor
> Mature.

What a neat idea.  Like the "Tales from the Bin/Crypt" and other
such drawings I've seen sprinkled around the Internet.  Those
are *so* clever.  ^_^

> Only my father
> knows, and he won't say. (Mainly because he died last Spring.)

Sorry to hear that!  :(

> > From: Katie Sullivan <vazali at yahoo.com>
> > I doubt it was a deliberate slight, and even if it was, stop
> > being so touchy!  *sigh*
Don Rosa:
> I think we should resign ourselves to this personality trait.
> Obviously it
> will not change. (yes... *sigh*).

True.  ;)

> I never believed that $crooge lived anywhere other than the
> Money Bin, but
> the "Island" story made it easier to show him arriving from
> elsewhere in the
> morning, as did that TEMPO magazine gag. To show him arriving
> at his office
> from upstairs would imply that he was just coming down from
> another office,
> and would have required a several panel explanation of
> something that was
> not related to the story and inappropriate at that moment.

That makes sense.

> Anyway, the Egmont editor said that he had always assumed that
> $crooge lived
> in town in some cheap apartment. I said that wasn't too
> abhorrent an idea to
> me, so we compromised for future purposes -- $crooge lives
> mainly in his Bin
> quarters, but for various reasons he sometimes stays at a
> small apartment he
> has in some downtown Duckburg building.

Somehow he could work that to his advantage for tax purposes,
I'm sure.  ;)

> In fact, in the story
> I'm working on
> right now, I had to show $crooge arriving at the Bin's
> entrance at dawn as
> in "Island", but I invent another reason for it since to go
> into an
> explanation of the "downtown apartment" idea would have
> interrupted the
> story with unnecessary info

A lock-in at the Billionaire's Club?  After-hours sale at The
Really Really Cheap Stuff Warehouse?  Out watching for
potentially valuable meteorites?  Goldie in town?
*runs away, laughing evilly*
Sorry, I have a cold right now and my brain is a little fuzzy
from the medicine.  >_<

> (and I already have enough
> unnecessary info in
> every panel of my stories already!).

Define "unnecessary!"  We fans enjoy it, anyway... ;)

> (I still
> like the idea of
> them being the same character times 3, with no individual
> traits... I think
> that's part of the "gag" for me, that there could be three
> such noble yet
> identical people.)

Yeah, their uncanny similarity is both amusing and cute.  I
recall seeing a "cartooning tips" feature in WDC&S once during
the Gladstone run that showed "not-so-great" and "better
approaches" to drawing the nephews running.  The "not-so-great"
version showed them moving in perfect sync, each limb positioned
exactly the same.  The "better" version, which they said was
more visually interesting, showed them each with different
postures.  If they had chose any other characters to illustrate
this concept, I'd have agreed, but with HD&L the whole point is
their uniformity.  After reading that I looked at Barks stories
and saw that they almost ALWAYS walk in unison.  ;)  Just a
random observation.

> (Why am I sending so many messages on so many different past
> DCML digests? I
> just returned from a trip to a very nice comic convention in
> St. Paul, MN,
> and I'm playing catch-up.)

Oh.  My.  God.  You're kidding!  I live in western Wisconsin,
just like 100 miles away.  I would have come if I had known!  I
even got an advertising postcard in the mail about that
convention but because so many of my fellow Americans are too
unenlightened to appreciate duck comics, the ad never even
mentioned your name!  ARG, I can't believe I missed that!  :(
I'm going to go bash my head against the wall now...

> From: "Klartekst" <info at klartekst.no>
> Of course, I could have him working late (I bet he does that
> a lot), or taking a last money swim before going home, but I
> would really like to show him in bed. It would make him seem
> more vulnerable and the whole thing would become more
> realistic and personal.

See Rosa's "Dream of a Lifetime" and "Island at the Edge of
Time" for panels showing Scrooge asleep in bed.

> Maybe he has a nightgown with dollar
> signs on it (a Christmas gift from Grandma), maybe even a
> nightcap like Donald used to wear in the old days.

That's pretty much how he's pictured in the stories mentioned
above.  And don't forget the bedroom slippers over his webbed
feet.  ;)  The nightshirt, slippers and old-fashioned nightcap
image of Scrooge brings to mind the 1982(?) animated "Mickey's
Christmas Carol."  As a little girl I dragged around a little
stuffed Scrooge in that purple outfit for ages. (It was given
out as part of a promotion at Hardee's fast food restaurant.)
My mom sewed a little broadcloth coat for him, though, so he
didn't have to wear his pajamas all the time.  ;)

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/