My First Disney Comic!

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Thu Oct 9 10:48:58 CEST 2003

Hello everyone!

Matthew:

>>> Since some other folks are reminiscing about the first Disney comics
that
>>> they ever bought, I've got to share mine too!  I love nostalgia!  Walt
>>> Disney's Comics and Stories 525 was the first Disney comic that I bought
AND

I don't remember. I remember, and still have, Disney children's books. "The
Three Little Pigs", for instance.
Many issues of  Le Journal de Mickey & other comics were thrown away, much
to my horror.

The earliest oldest memory I think is of  Bill Walsh & Floyd Gottfredson's
"Doctor X" story, which I only gor to read again (in the oft-mentionned MM
anthology) a few months ago, ie more than 20 years later. I still have a
couple of  other Gottfredson stories, though, which I stapled.
Barks-wise, stories like "The Waltz King", the swimming contest, Donald vs
salesmene come to mind.

A one point in the mid-80's, and even more so when Le Journal de Mickey &
Picsou Magazine started to "modernize" (you know, the dreadful "hip" look,
the bad stories, the replacement of  interesting articles with the least
interesting things possible, ...), I went through my comics and ripped out
the stories I loved most, to staple them together; I also kept the articles,
and threw away the rest.
A good ten years later (now, "ago"), I found out who the author/artists
were: Gottfredson, Barks, Jippes, Milton, ...-- the best.

My first Rosa comic was "His Majesty, McDuck", printed in the 20th
Anniversary issue of  Picsou Magazine. It's also in that issue I learned
about Barks.
For some years I desperately wished to have those comcis in English.
Eventually, in '94 (not my first time in the Us, btw), I chanced upon a few
Gladstone issues somewhere in California or Arizona: U$ 287 (Part 3 of
L&T), U$A 28 ("Land Beneath the Ground"), DDA 28 ("Sheriff of  Bullet
Valley"-- or did I get this one in '95? It's the Oct issue, which means it
was released in September; I was tehre in the summer).
I had faint memories of  "Land Beneath the Ground", discovered "Bullet Valle
y", loved "The Life and Times of  Scrooge Mc Duck", and-- O joy!-- there
were ads for The Carl Barks Library in Color.
In '95, back in the South West, we stopped in Gladstone's office in
Prescott, Az. got a few back issues, bought the regular edition of  Mickey
Mouse in Color, subscribed to the DDA Library (and took the first 10 issues
already published). Later, I subscribed to the WDC&S U$A Libraries.

And I got my first Gemstone Disney comica few weeks ago ;) .

Olivier