Huey, Dewey and Louie: smarties that deserve recognition!

Madame Jennifer Inantaz madame82 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 12 01:21:47 CEST 2003

Larry Giver wrote:

>I found the answer in Barks' story "Want to Buy an Island"
>WDC&S 235.  This story starts in HDL's kindergarten class, which
>they like.  The class is play-acting the roles of bankers, realtors,
>lawyers, etc.  The classroom has normal kindergarten decor, but
>look what's on the black-board:  a CALCULUS equation!  Truly,  this
>was a very special kindergarten class, where they really learned
>everything they needed in kindergarten.  Thus, they were so bored in
>second grade, etc, that the lessons had nothing new, and so
>they often played hookey.  It wasn't until they joined the Jr Woodchucks
>that they found new and exciting things to learn.

---Dang, gee and whiz, I wish I had gone to *their* kinderclass! >_>;

I was giving some thought to the subject of Huey's, Dewey's and Louie's
attention to their academic progress; I had just read 'Sons of the Moon' by
Kori Korhonen (while not fantastic, I really did enjoy reading it, and would
love to see more stories from him). The boys were discussing that they were
so involved in the Junior Woodchuck duties (which they blame Louie for
volunteering them), they had neglected their history report!

>From the (little) stories I've read, the junior savantism of Huey, Dewey and
Louie exists only in the Rosa/Barks universe. If I'm wrong, then please
correct me...(I'm pretending savantism is a word)...
But not that many people have actually, in my opinion, put much effort into
giving the duck triplets personality. Even those who did stories that
revolved *only* around them!!!

While Rosa doesn't give each of them a unique persona, he also doesn't make
them a symbiotic unit. But they're triplets, so they're bound to have the
ambiguity that comes from being someone's fraternal replicate, times three.
:-) They like a lot of the same things, such as Junior Woodchucks, and
"hating" girls.

Korhonen's HD&L are different (in a fun way) from Rosa's, even Barks', HD&L.
He too doesn't treat Huey, Dewey and Louie as three parts to a machine.  I
like the way they were protrayed in his 'Sons of the Moon' story, even
though they weren't child prodigies.
They seemed to act alot like the HD&L from the beginning of the DuckTales
series, really.

I guess I'm making a big hoopla about Kori Korhonen because he's the first
person, besides Carl Barks and Don Rosa, that seems to care for the three
duck children. Huey, Dewey and Louie, by a lot of author/artists have been
overused and under appreciated. Though, in the story "Three Little Cupids"
by Patrick and Shelly Block, they were treated like the true coniving
genius' they were. ;-)

I would say Daan Jippes, but most of his story work comes from others. He's
a great artist, though.

What a would really like to see is someone who does a pretty good story of
Scooge or Donald, do a pretty good story of HD&L. Geoffrey Blum (the man is
obsessed with Magica, I swear), maybe?

Does anyone else have something to add to this line of thinking?

Elvis lives! I just him singing karaoke at Mexican Real! Hotcha!