Question to Don Rosa

Michiel Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Thu Oct 16 13:19:20 CEST 2003

Question to Don Rosa:

Now that you have 'established' Matilda McDuck as a 'present-day-
character', do you have any plans to use her as a mouthpiece for
Lo$-B-stories? I was thinking of tales from the 'Lo$ 11B'-period,
when $crooge gradually looses contact with his family. You could
have $crooge and Matilda telling both sides of a tale. I suppose the
'present-day-frame' around such a Lo$-B-story could take place
within the timeframe of "a Letter from Home".

And maybe such a story could show us more of the Duck-side of the
family and involve characters like Gladstone's father and Donald's
sister (in the past tense of course). Or are appearances of Della also
to be avoided in stories dealing with the past? [I think I would be
eager to see more of these characters, acting as a *character*, that
is, other than just a simple cameo appearance.] But that would ask
for more character-development, which I suppose isn't an easy task.

Could you instead maybe give us some more Pothole? Of all
members of "your" side of the (Mc)Duck-family, I like Pothole
McDuck best. He is a bit like Donald, I think, (even more self-
confident and braggy) but he's older than Scrooge, which gives them
a different attitude towards each other. I was very pleased to see him
show up again in "the Vigilante of Pizen Bluff".

Well, anyway, I think we fans don't have much to complain about,
with "a Letter from Home" and a return of ze Chevalier Noir in the
pipeline. [And I'm still ever so pleased with "the Crown of the
Crusader Kings"!]

One tiny nitpick at last: I finally found a copy of the DD Extra
containing "the Sign of the Triple Distelfink". On page 9, what was
the original slogan on the back of the magazine Gladstone is
reading? In Dutch, it says something like "Become a millionaire
quickly!" and you can see a fellow behind a drawing-board drawing
something resembling a large banknote (appropiately coloured white
and pink). What was it? "Make big money"? Something with "large
sums"? [And the backpage-gag on the other man's mag: is this a
real existing one-pager? Well, maybe not.]

Greetings,

Michiel Prior.