Birthday determinations

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Oct 18 07:41:41 CEST 2003

From: Rich Bellacera (xephyr at cwnet.com)
Subject: Character Birthdays?
>>>I know that traditionally Disney acknowledges Mickey's birthday as being
the same
date as the release of his first film to the theaters, meaning the release
of "STEAMBOAT WILLIE" ... hence, Mickey's Birthday is: Nov. 18, 1928
Still, I wonder about the OTHER characters?
SCROOGE McDUCK: July 22, 1947 (from W OS 178-02) though I'm sure there are
those
who would dispute this, too.

You bet there is!
When is the "birthday" or anniversary of a famous book or movie or play
celebrated? When they decided to create the work? When the project was
begun? When the project was completed? No, it's when it is released to the
public... when it "officially" debuts to the world. Just as you say with
Mickey's birthday being on Nov. 18.

When do we celebrate our own birthdays? When we "were released to the
world"? Or nine months earlier on some romantic evening? That latter idea
might be when our life actually started. But celebrating our birthday on
that date (even if it could be nailed down)(excuse my nomenclature) would be
silly.

I've heard that some parties want to say that $crooge McDuck's anniversary
is July 22, since Mr. Barks submitted "Christmas on Bear Mountain" to the
publisher on July 22, 1947. But the story "was released to the world" in an
issue dated DECEMBER 1947. Set aside for a moment the question of when that
issue actually went on sale (sometime in October?) -- why did somebody
decide that $crooge's birthday is in July, which is as silly as saying our
birthdays are 9 months before we celebrate them?

It's because comic book sales are much better in the summer. They could sell
more "special anniversary issues" if they put them out during a summer
month. But don't be fooled or lead astray by marketeers.
$crooge McDuck's debut is in late 1947. I vote to stick to the publication
date on the magazine, December, only because it's too difficult to determine
what Western's official on-sale date was for FOUR COLOR #178. But one thing
I know for certain is that his birthday is *not* July 22.

But there must be a specific date? Well, some things are just not possible.
You'll hafta pull one outta thin air. It's a Christmas story wherein we
first see $crooge on December 23, so maybe you could decide his "birthday"
Dec. 23? But are exact dates necessary? It's close enough to say a
character's birthday (or a movie's anniversary, etc.) is during a certain
month. It's the marketeers who are insisting on exact dates for their press
releases. But you know, I guarantee you that DisneyWorld stores are willing
to sell you a "Mickey Mouse 75th Birthday" coll-eech-tible gee-gaw on lots
of other days of the year (or next year, for that matter) than only Nov. 18!