Character Birthdays?

Shad Z. shadz at email.com
Sun Oct 19 09:34:11 CEST 2003

From: Rich Bellacera <xephyr at cwnet.com>

> I know that traditionally Disney acknowledges
> Mickey's birthday as being the same date as the
> release of his first film to the theaters,
> meaning the release of "STEAMBOAT WILLIE" is
> Mickey's traditional birthday (even though "Plane
> Crazy"  was produced first.
>
> Hence, Mickey's Birthday is: Nov. 18, 1928

No, that is what Disney USED to do. Sometime in the
last few years, they have started to refer to Nov. 18,
1928 as Mickey's premiere date (not date of birth), and
Nov. 18 as Mickey's anniversary day (not birthday).
If you visited the Disney parks this year, you would have
seen merchendise for Mickey's 75th Anniversary, not his
75th birthday.

And they have made this change for all characters, not
just Mickey.  Why?  Because while it is all right for
people to think of the concept of Mickey Mouse being 75
years old, they do not want people to think of Mickey
himself as a 75-year-old man (mouse).  And the same goes
for Goofy, Donald and the rest.

--
Shad Z.                      ^Q^
            http://shadz.homestead.com/files/