Age of the Nephews

deanmary deanmary at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 21 07:05:35 CEST 2003

    I was wondering what list members thoughts were on this question:
When you read a Disney Duck story how old do you feel  Huey, Dewey,
and Louie are?  How old are they to you in your "mind's eye"?

    I am sure that there may be many stories which would imply an age
for the nephews.  For example, a number of weeks ago someone mentioned
a Barks story where the nephews are in kindergarten.

    I myself do not see the nephews as that young.  For one thing,
they can read.  Not only can they read, they can read then Junior
Woodchucks manual which I doubt is at an elementary school level.
Plus, they certainly are old enough to be helpful and vital members on
so many of Donald's and Scrooge's adventures.  I tend to think of the
nephews as pre-teens, say anywhere from 10 to 12 years of age.

    It seems that the nephews did age from Barks' earliest stories in
the 1940's to say the 1950's.  At first they seemed younger and more
childish like the nephews from the Donald Duck cartoons.  As Barks
developed the characters, they seemed to have aged some, at least to
me.

    What does everyone think?  Just curious.

Dean Rekich