Facts and fiction

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Thu Oct 23 10:41:43 CEST 2003

Lars wrote that Donald doesn't really have a birtday, and I tend to
agree. There are (at least) two "birthdays" involved here: The first
feature of the character, which I prefer to call anniversary (although
it's "fødselsdag" (="birthday") in Danish too), and secondly the
character's "fictional birthday".

So, when Don writes that Donald *has* a hat and an uncle, then yes, but
that would be a "fictional hat" and a "fictional uncle". A real hat is
something a human being can put on his head, and Donald has no such thing.

Rich seems confused by the various dates given for Donald's birth, but
that's only because he (I guess) tries to match the anniversary date
with some fictional dates given by various artists.

It's like wondering how Harrison Ford today (2003) can be in his 50s,
when he surely looks much younger in Starwars, which we all know happens
in far future.

Søren