careless translators

mateusz lis lis- at wp.pl
Thu Oct 23 21:36:03 CEST 2003

Don Rosa:
> ******SPOILER WARNING******
> I hear this from a reader in Poland:
> "However I believe the Polish translators screwed something up: On page
12
> panel 11 Scrooge is thinking something which in English would be "This is
> end! Now Donald will tell him how much this stamp is worth!"

No, no, no! The text in the balloon is "This is end! Now this guy will
reveal him the value of the stamp! I'm doomed". But still, that doesn't
make any sence. It looks like the translator does not re-read the story
after translating. However, I think that the editors should check the story
before giving its to print. The rest of the story is translated very well
(like the use of Polish idiom "We're coming back on the old trash" - "We're
coming back to home" on page 5, panel 11). And this small mistake is
nothing if you compare it to the mistakes in translation of
W.H.A.D.A.L.O.T.T.A.J.A.R.G.O.N. (like giving GD the full name "Kaczka
McKwacz" - "Duck (female) McDuck" or saying that "Osborne remembers the
time when grand-grand-son of Clinton Coot lived").

Best wishes,
Mateusz Lis