P.S. (Re: Trick or treat)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Sep 1 16:15:39 CEST 2003

I erroneously wrote:

> It takes 13 pages before Donald is convinced that he faces a real
> witch, though there's only one encounter where he really clearly
> expresses that.

Huh? This is yet again one of my grammar miracles. That should be:
It takes 13 pages before Donald is convinced that he faces a real
witch. On page 7, he seems to think he's just facing a rubber nosed
trick or treater.

> (Counting from this first encounter on page 7, it "only" takes 7 pages
> of preparation and action to convince Donald. Phew!)

Here's an overview:

Page 6 to 7 - Donald thinks he has another kid at his door, instead
of Witch Hazel. There's no opinion on the existance of witches.

Page 8 to 10 - Preparations are done to SCARE Donald.

Page 11 - Donald thinks he got those "trick or treaters" scared off.
Again, no opinion on the existance of witches.

Page 12 - Donald wonders what the blazes is going on outside. He doesn't
believe his eyes, but again there are no statements about witches.

Panel 13.7 - Donald concludes "WITCHCRAFT! That's what it is!"

Panel 14.3 - Donald: "D-do I dare to open [the door]? It's like a
nightmare come true!"

Panel 14.6 - Donald: "Oh, my goodness! Ghosts! Goblins! I don't
understand!" (He doesn't understand, but no statements about witches.)

Panel 15.2 - Donald is offended by being called a "pushover".

Panel 15.3 - Donald: "Those ghosts and goblins were only FAKES!"

Panel 15.4 - Donald: "I should have known you were only trying to
SCARE me!"

Panel 15.7 - Donald: "It takes more than a WITCH to get candy from
Donald Duck!"

--- Daniël