Land Beneath the Ground / Cord's return

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Sep 1 17:39:00 CEST 2003

OLIVIER to me, 01-09-2003:

>> [Land Beneath the Ground, US 13] Barks's answer seems to be
>> surprisingly simple. In a 1980s idea sketch "Which Disney Themepark
>> Is This?" (one out of three), the underground pillars and structures
>> *also* are coloured. In a glowing green, lightbrown, and purple.

> The bright colors sure look a lot nicer in the comics and the
> paintings. The Terry-Fermies may very well blend in the background if
> [the underground] stones are brightly colored too. But when the ducks
> first see them, it's on the surface, and they don't notice them.

Yes, of course. You're right!

> I guess a simple and realistic answer is that they look a dull stone
> color in the sun, and phosporescent in the dark.

Or maybe they have chameleon skins, so their colours adjust to the rock
structures that surrounds them. This kind of camouflage might help them
survive in dangerous situations, like travelling to the Earth's surface.

I don't know if there have been colourists who have followed such a
theory, though.

> Hm, imagine that in a movie: a dark cave, with phosphorescent stones
> everywhere; there's just enough light for you to see; and those strange
> tie-wearing creatures appear, their dark & phosphorescent shapes dimly
> visible. Could be pretty creepy.

Great description!

CORD WILJES, 01-09-2003:

> P.S.: Sorry for the confusion my automated farewell mail may have
> caused. I awoke too late to keep it from being sent.

Nevermind! I'm glad you are back! I was so worried! (Sob! Sob! Sob!)

--- Daniël, who (according to Cord) has at least 20 more years to go

P.S. Release Kriton! Sign the petition! Buy "Release Kriton!" shirts,
so we buy some flowers to cheer him up in that moldy jail!