DCML Digest Issue 77

Shad Z. shadz at email.com
Tue Sep 2 09:49:45 CEST 2003

From: "Don Rosa" <donrosa at iglou.com>

> > From: Rich Bellacera <xephyr at cwnet.com>
> > Subject: Magica the Sorceress
> > To those who submitted info related to Magica as
> > a Sorceress, thanks.  I shall have to remember
> > that for her profile, though I must say, Gary is
> > probably correct in the way most people will
> > commonly perceive Magica whether or not it is
> > technically accurate.
>
> Oh, yes, I certainly agree with that! If one is making
> a list of Disney "witches", Magica should not only be on
> the list, she should be at the HEAD of the list (naturally
> I'd think that!). But then the explanation would need
> to be included as to how she is different from someone
> like a Witch Hazel or Madam Mim or the Snow White witch.

Actually, to use your terms, the "Snow White witch" is
a Sorceress like Magica, not a Witch like Witch Hazel --
at least when you look at the movie.  In the movie, she
only does one magical act -- she turns herself into
the "old crone".  And to do that, she has to perform a
rather complicated sorcerous/alchemical spell to create
a potion, then drink the potion she made.

(She also posions the apple, but there is nothing that
indicates the posion is magical.  And she owns a Magic
Mirror, but there's no indication that she made the
mirror or was powering it with her magic)

--
Shad Z.                      ^Q^
            http://shadz.homestead.com/files/

--