Beagle Boys Inc.

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Sep 8 10:03:32 CEST 2003

OLIVIER to me, 04-09-2003:

> [Beagle Boys] I don't remember noticing the name change (dropping/adding
> the "Inc"). I like the idea of thieves registering as a legit business
> company, it's quite funny.

And it has a satirical link to *reality*. Maybe this is one of Barks's
many political-sounding jokes?

> ["The Status Seeker", US 41] Even though it's for a the sake of the
> status gags, this suggests the Beagle Boys are not petty thieves but
> are recognized as "tops" (p 6 panel 7).
> This may seem in contradiction with the fact we always see them fail.
> Actually, they do succeed in robbing Scrooge several times, in quiet
> ingenious ways; it's just that the ducks manage to get the money back.

Egmont's Beagle Boys series tends to show them as failures. I think this
can be funny, but only as long as these adventures keep in balance with
stories that show the Beagle Boys as dangerous crooks. If Beagle Boys
become failures by default, then stories will not be exciting anymore.

Now that I mention exciting stories, maybe Beagle Boys are used too often,
as part of Scrooge's (yawn!) often-used standard set of enemies? I think
there should be a lot more crooks, instead of just a few familiar ones.
And where has the pig villain gone to?

Barks created new villians throughout his comic book career, but since
his retirement the set of villians has more or less petrified. Why?

--- Daniël