Barks and Cold War Politics

L. Schulte lschulte at sfstoledo.org
Mon Sep 8 14:21:13 CEST 2003

At 02:03 PM 9/8/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/8/2003 7:37:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>lschulte at sfstoledo.org writes:
>Sigvald was asked not to let political comments on the DCML, and in general
>I would agree.  The statement in question that many Left-wing intellectuals
>"went soft" on Mao  is correct
>And many  right - wing folks  in the USA and Europe were soft on Hitler and
>Mussolini despite their  not too good records too.  Barks wrote  stories
>dealing with WW2 too....
>
>  Therefore I fail to see your point at all...

The point is that Barks was occasionally letting his anti-Communism be
expressed in his stories (with things like Brutopia), in the same way that
his divorce might have obliquely crept through into a few stories.

That the right-wing was soft on Hitler and other Fascists is also correct,
but irrelevant here, since the original comment was about left-wing
"softness" on Communism.