Treasure of Marco - original dialogue

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Sep 8 17:39:21 CEST 2003

GERD SYLLWASSCHI to DANIEL NEYER, 08-09-2003:

>> I've always wondered if my copy of The Treasure of Marco Polo (which
>> I believe was quoted a few messages back) has been bowdlerized by the
>> "Disney" Studio's PC crowd.

> I do not know which copy you have, but the story has been blacklisted
> by Disney. To get permission to include it in the CBL, Another Rainbow/
> Gladstone had to change parts of the dialog (as well as some of the art)
> in the 1980's.

Below you can read a comparison I've made years ago.
Please report any errors/omissions.

- - - - - - -

TREASURE OF MARCO POLO - ORIGINAL DIALOGUE

Comparison of US 64 with CBL-publication 05C-569, by Daniël van Eijmeren:

Lots of dialogue is censored. Any reference to dictator, rebel, civil war or
revolution is changed to general, soldier, or war. Panel 2 of page 16 and
panel 7 of page 21 are changed. In both, the garrotte Soy Bheen is about to
strangle a rebel with, is removed.

3.7
Soy: "I'm Soy Bheen, a poor peasant boy! Whan Beeg Rhat is the rebel brigand
who is trying to be dictator of Unsteadystan!"

4.1
Soy: "I crawled in to hide from the rebels!"

4.2
Soy: "No, the rebels had stolen it before the shooting began!"

4.7
Scrooge: "I paid the Unsteadystan premier a million dollars in advance for the
jade beast! That's enough loss for one deal!"

6.6
Soy: "Somebody's always shooting at somebody in Unsteadystan, Mr. McDuck!"

7.1
Soy: "Keep low and follow me! There's a battle going on between two rival rebel
bands."

9.3
rebel: "Whan Beeg Rhat, si! Duckburg, no!"

9.4
Soy: "Rebel Debbil, you're fighting in siesta time! It's five minutes after
one!"

9.5
rebel: "Shows you can't trust these watches from the workers' paradise!"

10.4
Soy: "Beeg Rhat will come out of his jungle hide-out for the right kind of
loot!" [In the CBL this balloon is shortened a bit. A bit of it's original
silhoutte can be seen in the black on the left.]

10.5
Soy: "No, power! Every thug in Unsteadystan wants to be ruler! None can succeed
however while a certain person is alive!"

10.6
Soy: "The young Prince Char Ming! Only he can unite the people and make them
peaceful!"

10.7
Soy: "He's away at school, and all these would-be rulers would erase him on
sight if he returns!"

11.2
Soy: "There are still garments in the closets! At least the in-and-out rulers
haven't sold them like they did the royal jade elephant!"

15.5
rebel: "Hail to Wahn Beeg Rhat, dictator of all the happy people -- happy or
not!"

20.6
Wahn: "So you sneaked back to reunite Unsteadystan, prince? Well, the joke is
on you! Ha, ha!"

23.4
rebel: "Who is he? We've had sixty rulers in sixty months!"
citizen: "All phonies! The true ruler will appear in the sacred howdah!"

23.7
Wahn: "Prince Target to me! Shoot him, Rhat brats! Don't let him spoil my
revolution!"

24.2
rebel 1: "And keep these silly revolutions going forever?"
rebel 2: "No! We suddenly think it'd be nice for Unsteadystan to have a king
again -- like in the good old days!"

--- Daniël