Gottfredson interviews?

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 9 17:08:05 CEST 2003

Timo:
>>> I'm trying to collect together bibliography of Gottfredson related
articles
>>> and interviews.
>>> There is 1968 interview by Malcolm Willits in Vanguard -fanzine, and
then
>>> one in Nemo-magazine from 1984 and Comics Journal #120 from March 1988
by
>>> Arn Saba. Any others? What about articles?

Great idea!

Well, I'm sure you've already have the reference, but just in case (to
complete it?):
"The Man Who Drew the Mouse-- An Interview with Floyd Gottfredson by David
R. Smith" (November 5, 1975);
pp 97-112 of  "Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse in Color-- 1930s Disney Comic
Strip Classics";
Another Rainbow Publishing, Inc (Prescott, Az); Pantheon Books (NY), 1988
In addition to this great interview, the book features
- an introduction by Geoffrey Blum, "Mickey's Second Father" (September 20,
1988),
- and "Of  Mouse and the Man-- Floyd Gottfredson and the Mickey Mouse
Continuities", by Thomas Andrae

The interview you mention, "Mickey's Chronicler-- An Interview with Floyd
Gottfredson by Malcolm Willits", published in Vanguard # 2 (February 1968),
was reprinted pp 51-54 of  "The Malcolm Willits Collection of  Mickey Mouse
Paintings by Floyd Gottfredson", published by the Howard Lowery gallery
(Burbank, Ca) for the 1993 Gottfredson paintings auctions.
The booklet also includes
- "The Psychology of  the Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse Paintings" by
Richard D. Olson-- which actually tells more the story of  Mickey a
Gottfredson's career than it analyzes anything, from what I gather by
quickly skimmig voer it (I don't remember any analysis and don't have time
to read it, but it is pretty clear)
- "Gottfredson and Me" by Malcolm Willits
- and lots of  great, large pictures of  Floyd Gottfredson, his paintings--
and Carl Barks!

Gladstone Comic Album Series # 17, "Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse-- The World
of  Tomorrow" (1989), which also includes a couple of  gag-a-day strips and
"¨The Pirate Ghostship", had an introduction by Geoffrey Blum-- a short
(1p)presentation & analysis of  both stories; I read them again recently,
but haven't re-read the article yet.

The other albums surely had similar introductions by Blum:
#3, "The Lair of  Wolf  Barker"
#8, "Hoppy the Kangaroo"

In fact, "Walt Disney's The Biggest Big Mickey Mouse" (Gladstone, 199?),
collected a few such albums into one volume.
It has:
- "Mickey Mouse and the Seven Ghosts", without "The Case of  the Vanishing
Coats" (part of  the original album, as listed in the reprinted credits),
but with a Dick Moores Goofy one-pager and Blum's presentation of  "The
Seven Ghosts"
-"Mickey Mouse at the Bar-None Ranch" and a Bill Wright MM one-pager, plus
Blum's presentation
- "Mickey Mouse Monarch of  Medioka", with Blum's presentation and a 2p
reprint of  the two-week news story in The New York Times regarding the
incident that followed (the strip was censored in Yugoslavia on Dec 1, 1937)
- "Mickey Mouse Sheriff of  Nugget Gulch", a Paul Murry Goofy one-pager, and
a Blum presentation

And then, there's Gladstone's "100-page 60th Anniversary Special" issue of
"Mickey Mouse" # 244 (January 1989):
- short story of  the strips & presentation of  the writers & artists, by
byron Erickson
- Gottfredson self-portrait

I guess there must be some short articles to be found in Gladstone's comics,
especially the prestige WDC&S issues.

Olivier