Walt Disney Treasures DVDs

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Wed Sep 10 17:53:19 CEST 2003

It's a little bit off-topic, but I suppose a lot of list members will be
interested in these:

Last year Disney released a series of several film compilations on DVD
under the name "Walt Disney Treasures". Each set contained two DVDs full
of digitally restored Disney gems. I found most interesting:

  + Mickey Mouse in Black and White" - Contains the first MM cartoons
starting with "Steamboat Willie"; also has a commentary by Leonard
Maltin.
  + Walt Disney Treasures - Mickey Mouse in Living Color - MM color
cartoons
  + Walt Disney Treasures - Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney
Studio - A collection of documentaries about the Disney studios.

The sets cost $ 32.99 ea had a print run of 125.000. Most are gone by
now and can only be bought on the secondary market for much higher
prices.

Soon there will be issued a second wave in this great series. I find
especially interesting:

  + The Chronological Donald, Volume 1 (1934 - 1941)
  + Walt Disney Treasures - On the Front Lines

Especially the "On the front lines" set sounds great: It promises to
contain the cartoons the Disney studios produced during WWII. Namely
"Victory Thru Air Power" and possibly "Der Fuehrer's Face" and
"Education for Death".

If Disney can release these (and they sell like crazy!) - why not also
allow reprints of the Gottfredson Mickey Mouse strips and uncensored
Barks stories? Could it be that there are still thos who believe that
"comics are for children" whereas the DVDs are for adults?

I posted a complete list of the DVDs released in the "Walt Disney
Treasures" series to

   http://www.dcml-talk.org/read.php?f=1&i=175&t=175

Cord