AW: Morgan's Ghost (Re: From the Disney Studios and Dali...)

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Thu Sep 11 16:40:09 CEST 2003

Daniël wrote:

> I think there's an obvious difference between Disney's first three
> movies ("Snow White", "Pinocchio", and "Fantasia"), and the later
movies.
> The first three movies look like artistic masterpieces, while
> the later movies mostly look like "safe" family amusement. (IMO)

This is exactly how I feel about the Disney movies but could not name it
until I read your message.

Recently a German federal institute voted a list of 35 international
movies which they recommended to be watched and discussed in school.
There was one Disney movie on this list: The Jungle Book.

Of course the Jungle Book is a wonderful and entertaining movie. But it
is
also very commercial. And predictable. And a little bit silly.

"Snow White", "Pinocchio", some episodes from "Fantasia" and "Dumbo" to
some extent on the other hand play in quite another league: They have
more contrast! And they can be quite disturbing, I believe. Beneath the
bright colors, beautiful images and sweet songs there lurks real life:
failure, loneliness and death.

Cord