Election in Duckburg

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Sep 13 20:10:09 CEST 2003

ERLAND HEIR, 10-09-2003:

> I have recently read a Barks story, where $crooge, standing in
> a park, speaking to a crowd,  tries  to be elected.

This is the story in which Scrooge is city treasurer candidate (US 8).

> Anyone here who knows how many times (and witch Barks stories)
> $crooge and Donald  has tried  to be elected and does anybody of
> them ever succeed?

In "The Heedless Horseman" (US 66), Scrooge enters a horse into the
Great Crystal Orb Derby. The winning horseman gets to rule Duckburg's
social life for a whole year, and is treated as 'King' of Duckburg
(including a crown, cloak, throne, household, and limousine). Scrooge's
reason for entering the horse race is that millions of people never heard
of Scrooge McDuck, except for the bankers and burglars. He wants to crash
the hall of fame. The entrance clerk even phones the cooky jar, to ask
if there's an escapee named Scrooge McDuck.

This is not really an democratic election, though. And maybe that's
the irony of it. I'm wondering if there's a political joke included.

<SPOILER>
Scrooge didn't get to be king for a year, but he did get to be
well known. His name is on everybody's lips. As the jerk who ruined
horse racing in Duckburg, to be exactly.
</SPOILER>

--- Daniël