Speaking of Oolated Squiggs (MICKEY MOUSE & FRIENDS #257)....

Rich Bellacera xephyr at cwnet.com
Mon Sep 22 02:12:54 CEST 2003

I just picked up my copy of MICKEY MOUSE & FRIENDS #257 and the very
first story mentions them by name (well, rather a "Squigg De-Oolater"
that is!! LOL!

If I had read this story before the discussion on the ML the reference
would have flown right over my head.  :-)  Oddly, Mr. Gilles might be
interested in this story as well since it relates to the Coot Clan and
some new (I think) members of that side of the family (Clarence Coot, an
elder inventor, Charlie Coot his greedy adult nephew, and Charlie's son
Custer Coot who is about HDL's age.)  While the story makes an inference
to an ancestor founding "Duckburg," it doesn't come out and actually
finish the claim since the speaker is cut-off in mid-sentence.  Still,
I'm willing to bet that's what Mr. Markstein was going to have Clarence
say.  The story was quite enjoyable, except I found it odd that Mickey
claimed never to have seen a ghost before.  I also enjoyed the
references to Junkville and Bucky & June Bug!

I have only read this first story "MM: Is this House Haunted?" (D 98293)
and the April, May & June one pager "Fish Tale" (H 99274), but will
finish the rest soon.  BTW, the AMJ depicted here were the NEW "look"
though only May was in her new appearance, April & June were wearing
costumes.

Thanks, Don!

Rich Bellacera
xephyr at cwnet.com