Correspondence and history - replying to Don Rosa

Mike Rhode mgrhode at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 18:11:28 CEST 2003

Don said:

"There are many more letters from Barks to Rosa and
Rosa to Barks during
1975-1998 and I have copies of them all, but if I can
help it, no one will
ever see them. "

Don, as an archivist and historian, I've got to
disagree with you on this one.  You could deposit the
correspondence with an archives such as OSU or MSU or
even the Library of Congress w/ restrictions as to its
use.  The UKY article quoted you as saying that Barks
was the greatest storyteller of the 20th century - is
it fair to deprive future generations of the
possibility of new insights into Barks' work?  I know
you're an extensive user of historical records
yourself (my wife helped out w/ the Mexican revolution
uniform photo), and you could make these letters be
part of the historical record eventually.  And the
good thing about having the objects saved, and not
just selected quotes, is that truth comes out easier.

A good case in point is Frederic Wertham - his
correspondence is at the Library of Congress and
access is limited.  Accordingly only one side of the
Wertham story is told -- but I think my friend Bart
Beaty's eventual book on him will present a more
nuanced man who was a concerned humanitarian.

Mike Rhode