DuckTales

kimba1962@comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 28 03:41:44 CEST 2003

How can I NOT get involved in this sudden proliferation of "DuckTales"
discussion...

Jonathan Gray seriously overstates things when he says that "DT" featured too
much reliance upon the "magical" powers of Scrooge's #1 Dime.  "DT" used the
dime in this manner MUCH LESS than did Barks (in his later years, at least).
I wouldn't agree with him that Bubba and Tootsie marked the "downfall" of the
show, but in hindsight, it was a mistake to allow Bubba to remain a part of
the cast after the "Time is Money" serial.  The writers evidently recognized
this right off the bat, as Bubba appeared in relatively few later eps (and
generally served merely as a "fourth nephew" when he DID appear).  And thanks,
J., for sticking up for Launchpad.  There's no earthly reason why LP couldn't
continue to appear in modern Duck stories as a supporting character.  He
brings a different set of motivations and a different "attitude" to the table
than Donald, so it'd make perfect sense to let him participate in an adventure
with Scrooge, Donald, and the boys.  Unfortunately, I suspect that it would
take some sort of "revival" of "DT" (perhaps in the form of a reissue of the
series on DVD -- hint hint) to reignite LP's comics career, and that probably
ain't happening anytime soon.

Don Rosa's comments point up the one thing about "DT" that purists tend to
miss... that ON ITS OWN TERMS, as a TV-show version of a classic comics
series, it was a magnificent achievement.  I don't happen to agree with his
specific interpretation of "DT" as an "unauthorized and fanciful" take on the
Barks world, but I do appreciate the words of praise.  Among its other
virtues, "DT" showed the animation industry that it was possible to produce a
quality syndicated series; no need to rely on toy tie-ins and such.
Without "DT", there'd have been no "Tiny Toon Adventures," no "Animaniacs,"
no "Disney Afternoon"... and who knows, perhaps no "Simpsons".

Chris Barat