Donald and DuckTales

Matthew Williams kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net
Sun Sep 28 04:40:48 CEST 2003

About Donald's absence from DuckTales:  I remember that when DuckTales first
aired, the editors at Gladstone comics implied that Donald wasn't part of
the show because Disney was worried about overexposing the character.  I
found that irritating when I was ten, but now that Disney has brought us
Quack Pack and (even worse) the House of Mouse, I wish they were still
worried!  I HATE the strange, inconsistent things they do with Mickey and
Donald now!

Anyway, what do you all make of the Donald that did show up in a few
episodes of the show?  I'm fascinated now by how he was a weird hybrid of
the comics character and the animated shorts star.  He had more dialogue
than ever and some degree of sophistication, but still he always seemed more
like a child than an adult in the series.  I thought he had some of the
Barks touch in the episode where he was possessed by the spirit of the
pharaoh and in the episode where he commits treason after being hypnotized
by the woman with the enchanting eyelashes.  Maybe it was just the situation
that almost seemed Barksian, though.  I remember feeling downright giddy
whenever Donald would show up at any rate.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to bring a Barks Donald to the screen.
Could the classic duck voice put across Barks's dialogue?  If I could only
hear Tony Anselmo say, "I'll take Vanilla!"

Matt Williams