that quote I was looking for re: Flintheart's evolution

David Gerstein ramapith at mail.dk
Mon Sep 29 01:35:02 CEST 2003

    Katie,

> On a related note, when did European artists start placing
> Flintheart as living in Duckburg?  I know this tradition has
> been around awhile.  Pre-Rosa, too, I assume.

    Yep. Flinty faded away after Barks' retirement, and it took Egmont
editors Lars Bergström and Stefan Printz-Påhlson to bring him back in the
late 1970s.
    Upon doing so, they were faced with the unfortunate fact that Egmont's
affiliated publishers didn't want to mention South Africa in the comics,
what with the politics of the apartheid connotations. So the decision was
taken instead to move Glomgold to Duckburg.

    In the last five years, BTW, now that apartheid is a thing of the past,
Egmont has made South Africa Flinty's home once again. He'll still visit
Duckburg when you least expect it‹ but you know Glomgold Industries'
American offices are located in Duckburg, right? (-:

    David