Yea! Launchpad!

Matthew Williams kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net
Mon Sep 29 14:20:06 CEST 2003

I just wanted to put my two cents in, and say that the prospect of seeing Launchpad in the comics in the future tickles the poop out of me!  He is an excellent character, and I think he could work well in the Barks/comics universe.  While I am excited to see Launchpad solo stories, I would love to see stories where he isn't the main focus necessarily.  I think he could fit in like Gyro, Gladstone, or any of the others and be a character that shows up for a quick gag or to offer some kind of assistance on an adventure.  Launchpad and Donald's interaction in "Three Ducks of the Condor" really paves the way for a lot of unused story ideas, I think.  I liked the short stories revolving around flying and crashing a few years back, but I think the character can work well without the prospect of crashing.  The continual crashing on the show was kind of funny, but I think the greatest humorous moments involving the character on DuckTales came from his bright, sort-of-naive-but-not-a-complete-buffoon nature.  I loved his constant enthusiasm to help coupled with his screw-up nature!  Furthermore, he really could be wise and heroic at odd times.  Golly!  The thought of seeing Launchpad makes me giddy and like a kid again.

I'm interested by the talk about Launchpad being older on Darkwing Duck, and I would love to hear more about how folks arrived at the assumption.  I guess I always figured that Darkwing Duck began weeks after Launchpad's time on DuckTales.  Scrooge had grown more dependent on Gizmo Duck (unfortunately), so Launchpad was able to take off to St. Canard in good conscience.  I like to think Launchpad went back to Duckburg eventually, though!  What worlds we create for ourselves when the stories end!

Matt A. Williams