Of "DuckTales" and other things

kimba1962@comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 30 16:12:06 CEST 2003

I must admit to being quite STUNNED by GARY LEACH'S news that an upcoming
issue of DD&F will feature a Launchpad appearance.  As my previous pessimistic
quote indicated, I thought that "DT" had sunk below the radar of both Disney
and Gemstone by this time.  It was especially gratifying to see Gemstone
recognize Launchpad's continuing appeal after the decidedly uneven handling of
the "Gladstone I" "DuckTales" title -- a true "mixed bag" of largely mediocre
Studio-produced "DT" stories, Barks reprints, generally excellent (albeit off-
center) Lustig/Van Horn opi, and even one "regular" Duck story in which
Donald's presence was explained by Scrooge's comment that Donald was "on leave
from the Navy."  I appreciate Gemstone's sentiment and will definitely make
known my desire to have more such material in future issues.

JONATHAN GRAY mentioned the mishandling of the "lucky dime" notion in Marv
Wolfman's "Scrooge's Quest."  I tend to think that the overreliance on
the "lucky dime" conceit was but one example of Wolfman's general lack of
familiarity with how the Ducks' universe(s) operated.  Another example would
be the final installment of the serial (Disney DUCKTALES #7), wherein a
paranoid Glomgold works himself into a frenzy over Scrooge's apparent lack of
concern that Glomgold has taken over Duckburg.  Joe Torcivia correctly
compared the characters' attitudes in this tale to those of Daffy Duck and
Bugs Bunny in Chuck Jones' "duck season/rabbit season" cartoons.  Wolfman
didn't seem to realize that the characters were acting WAY out of character in
this one.  Though a gifted writer, Wolfman may very well have figured that he
was dealing with talking Ducks, after all, so who'd mind some non-canonical
interpretations of characterization?

ROB NEYER fingered "All Ducks on Deck" as a particularly "Barksian" episode
of "DuckTales."  I concur -- the use of Donald in this ep was inspired, and
the story showed (as did "Three Ducks of the Condor") that it is definitely
possible for Donald and LP to coexist believably in a Duck adventure without
sucking up one another's oxygen.  LP is NOT merely a stand-in for Donald, he
is a character in his own right with different motivations, attitudes, and
hang-ups than Donald. I know that there are a couple of Donald/LP "DT"
adventure floating around in the Egmont "discard pile"... I'd love to see one
in (say) DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES someday.

The notion of Glomgold living in Duckburg, which DAVID GERSTEIN traced to
the "Egmont Glomgold revival" period of the 70s, was duplicated
in "DuckTales," with the added twist that Glomgold now sported a Scottish
accent like Scrooge.  This last always made logical sense to me; where ELSE
might another ambitious, money-hoarding miser have come from during that era?
If Scrooge could go to America to make his fortune, surely Glomgold could have
chosen to seek HIS riches in South Africa.  As for Flinty's move to Duckburg
(political considerations aside), I always figured that at some point,
Glomgold would decide to settle closer to Scrooge in order to keep closer
track of his great rival.

The influence of "DuckTales" does have a way of popping up in unlikely places,
despite the "lack of popularity" of "DT" comics stories abroad.  Among the
most recent Gemstone releases, Kori Kerhonen(?)'s "Sons of the Moon" in the
latest WDC&S featured some interesting wrinkles that may very well have been
inspired by "DT", and I'm not just talking about the fact that the story
starred only Huey, Dewey, and Louie.  The notion of a single Nephew being
singled out as the thematic focus of an adventure first appeared (in this
country, anyway) in the 1987 "DuckTales" episode "Duck in the Iron Mask."  Pat
Block has since focused on one Nephew in his first story "The Mystery at
Widow's Gap," but as far as I know, "DT" got there first with the idea.  Who
knows but what Kerhonen drew some inspiration from the episode's idea of Dewey
becoming alienated from the other Nephews because he is tired of looking
exactly like them.

It appears that I goofed up my quote of DON ROSA's comments about his
interpretation of "DT" -- it was one of those things where I knew what I was
trying to say but didn't phrase it quite right.  Sorry, Don.

Chris Barat