Character voices

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 21:28:31 CEST 2003

There has been some discussion lately about Donald's voice on
DuckTales and in other animated incarnations.  Although it's
perfect for the sorts of situations Donald encountered in the
early cartoons, IMHO his squawking, quacking voice isn't
particularly well suited to Barks-scale adventure stories.  I'm
probably forever biased because of my memories of the way my dad
read the stories to me as a small child, but when I read the
comics I imagine Donald as having a relatively normal voice.
That may sound odd to others, but am I alone in this?  The early
cartoon Donald and the Barksian Donald are like two totally
different characters, really, and I imagine them as having
different voices.

I also imagine Scrooge with a Scottish accent that was much
heavier when he was younger, but gradually became less
pronounced as he traveled the world (in Rosa's Lo$).  By the
"current" time frame I imagine his accent as considerably less
noticable than it is in DuckTales.  (Although in the animated
form Alan Young does a wonderful job with the character.  I just
see the animated Scrooge and comics Scrooge as, again, two
versions of the character.)
There's that Barks reference that keeps popping up (and which of
course I can't remember exactly at the moment) where the nephews
refer to him as having a Scottish accent, but they don't say how
thick it is.  ;)
Again, I admit I'm probably biased by my memories of my dad
reading the stories to me (sans Scottish accent and Donaldish
garbling.)

How do you all imagine their voices?  Given that many of you
don't speak English as a primary language, I'd be interested to
hear your unique spins on this.

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/