Rosa's own li'l Universe

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Apr 3 00:53:18 CEST 2004

MATTHEW WILLIAMS, 02-04-2004:

> On the DuckTales page, someone wrote:
>
> "For those interested,Scrooge McDuck immigrated from Scotland with his
> two sisters,Hortense and Matidla,in the early 20th Century. [...] "
>
> The point I want to make here is that even if Rosa wants to confine his
> ideas and character developments to his own universe, his fans are
> largely not willing to do the same.

This is what I'm worried about. There are indeed Rosa fans who will use
just about every chance to preach about him in a way that reminds me of
some fundamentalistic religions.

"This is the truth. The holy truth. And everyone who disagrees should be
assassinated, because they are not worthwhile enough to be part of this
kingdown of truth." I find it scary. What if their mission succeeds, one
day?

I'm afraid that day would get known as "The Day the Ducks Died". We're
living in the year 2004. So, at least according to this holy truth, most
of our cherished Disney characters are as DEAD as a door-nail by now.

Grandma is dead. Scrooge is dead. Donald is dead or almost-dead. The
nephews have grown up...

What an awful, horrible future to look forward to. And what a happy message
to bring to the people! "Come to my website and see Uncle Scrooge being
buried in a grave!"

As if there's isn't already enough death and sorrow, circulating and taking
us, in the real-life world.

> The ducks affect my daily, "real," life little, but I've been a fan
> all of my life, and I dislike some of the ways the characters and
> storylines have been closed or changed forever.  I wonder now if a
> certain lack of continuity or at least the loose continuity that
> Barks worked under might be preferable to all of this nailing down of
> dates and "facts" that this group and Rosa's stories often engage in.

I fully agree with this. I'm very sad about this on-going development of
"my" (and your) Ducks being nailed down in dates and facts.

I'm glad that I got to know the Ducks before this development. Otherwise
I wouldn't have become a Disney comics fan. Not even a Barks fan. I would
not have been able to tell the difference between Barks and non-Barks,
because the strict universe alone, already would have turned me away.

I mean, how should a newbie know that this square egg has been made with
a different intention than a revisited square egg that is treated as if
it's exactly the same egg. Sometimes both versions of that same square
eggs are even published in the very same Disney comic issue. How can a
newbie, like an average reader, tell these different intentions apart?

--- Daniël