Universes

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Mon Apr 5 18:52:59 CEST 2004

I´m commenting some older posts in this thread also, so bear with me or
just skip:

---
[Anders to Daniel:]

>You don't have to skip an issue to avoid reading a certain story, of which
>you recognize the lines - you can just jump over it - that's what i did
>with certain Mickey artists for many years of my youth.

Excellent advice. If its mainly stories by Don that bug you Daniel, it
adds up to something like three stories per year, even with an odd
reprint there should be plenty of stories that you actually like and do
not violate your personal duckiverse. I myself skipped almost anything
not by Barks or Murry when I read some annual volumes (reprints) of
1960s Aku Ankka a while ago.

---
Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

>A Disney comics reader is criticizing your work on an internet forum,
>and you smell a "unknown psychological agenda"??? You must be kidding!
>
>But don't try to isolate me as some kind of "rare individual"!
>
>You sound as if people need to have some hidden motives, in order to
>criticize your work and views. That's simply too much honor for a just
>a few critical emails.

I doubt he was simply referring to you. For as long as I've been reading
opinions about various duck-artist. none has been more controversial
than Rosa. Some Barks-fans have not liked the idea of sequels, many
others have loved them.

>> This is what I'm worried about. There are indeed Rosa fans who will use
>> just about every chance to preach about him in a way that reminds me of
>> some fundamentalistic religions.

Dan Shane responded:

>And there are Rosa non-fans who will not be satisfied to simply read the stories they like and let everyone else make their own choices.  Sounds like the American religious right who are not happy believing their interpretation of scripture, or even teaching others with a hearing ear, but insist on legislating their beliefs so that everybody has to live life their way whether they believe it or not.

Well said, Dan. I don't think that any of the (current) ML-members is trying to force Daniel or anyone else to like Don's work. I´d understand his views better if there actually were vocal and fanatic Rosa-fans around in ML - still it would be wrong to direct complaints about fans to Don himself.

---
JOSEPH FARRELL wrote:

>>> I am thoroughly bewildered by this increasingly repetitive
>>> discussion --- enough so to briefly turn off lurker mode!

[... and Daniel van Eijmeren replied]

> Hopefully, most people notice that I'm mostly just patiently
> *replying* whatever is being sent to me. I just think that's a kind
> thing to do.

Let me summarize the events:

-This whole thing started with Andrea writing about "Barks/Rosa -universe of the 1950-53" when talking about Don's work.
-Don corrected him saying its just Rosa-universe, with the intention of NOT offending anyone by claiming his universe was Barks' vision also.
-Daniel then declared that it could never been Don's universe since the character's and whatnot were created by Barks and that "[Daniel] don't find it surprising that a lot of Barks fans feel hurt and are angry at [Rosa] for "raping" Barks's Universe."
-Others started to explain where they think Daniel went too far or had a point.

Bottomline: I think it was Daniel who started the whole thing! Whether his comments to/about Don were patient replies is something for everyone to decide by themselves.

---

Daniel van Ejmeren to Don Rosa:

>As far as I know, Barks NEVER has stated that he intended these dates to
>be put in a *timeline*, not in his stories and not in his interviews/letters.

As a kid I always wanted to read about Scrooge's youth in chronological order. I wanted there to be some kind of structure. I wanted Barks to do one and hoped that there was this one big story.  But he was already retired when read my first duck-stories. Bummer. I'm glad that finally someone dared to do just that and write new stories about Scrooge's youth that connect to those by Barks. You´re probably absolutely right about Barks not intending these things to be put in a timeline or structuralized in any way. He didn't do it himself. That's fine, it was his choice and his way of working. Rosa made a different choice and that's it. We all must deal with the choices each writer makes. Despite being a brilliant artist/writer Barks is not someone that every writer must follow in this regard.