Barks universes / secret Barks letters to Rosa

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 6 23:30:43 CEST 2004

KAI SAARTO, 06-04-2004:

> Well, they are PRIVATE letters. Not something either Barks nor Rosa
> meant to viewed by general public. Who would want to show their
> private correspodence to the whole world.

Almost all of the "private" Barks letters, currently published in the
USA, have been printed before 1999. Barks was still alive, then.

A lot of what we know about Barks comes from these private letters.
Already since - at least - the mid-1970s, they have *published* and
studied by many Barks scholars, who didn't have the luxury of contacting
him on internet every day. So, that's why the letters which Barks *did*
write, as long as they survived, have so much meaning for Barks scholars.

But now it seems that this particular Barks scholar gets blamed for even
*mentioning* a few already *known* letters and public publications? And
bashed for just being curious for more of such letters? Don't be so unfair!

I'm just curious what the letters to Rosa (and other artists and fans)
contain, as an addition to these many published letters. That's all.

I NEVER demanded anything.

And, by GOD, I really don't understand what the fuzz is about.

--- Daniël

"WHEN, oh, WHEN is Unca' Donald going to give up?"
(Which Barks story?) :-)