Cowboy Captain of Cutty Sark

Dyer, Sonia sonia.dyer at hp.com
Wed Apr 7 20:56:25 CEST 2004

I have a question for Don Rosa about "The Cowboy Captain of the Cutty
Sark".

I've always been intrigued about the level of detail you included about
life in Indonesia and especially about what the eruption of Krakatoa was
really like to experience from on board a ship.  I recently read Simon
Winchester's very interesting book on the subject, but that was
obviously published long after you created the story.  May I ask what
source material you found most valuable when you did your research?

Also, with regard to Capt. Moore, was there a real Capt. Moore, or is he
a composite?  The way you drew him reminds me very much of Gregory Peck
as Capt. Ahab in the movie "Moby Dick".

Thanks,
   Sonia