Lost Beneath the Sea / good luck charms / boodle-bringers

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Apr 10 19:25:37 CEST 2004

As quoted in my previous email, Barks has written that he thinks that "the
Number One Dime should not be treated as a *good luck charm*. It contradicts
the way Uncle Scrooge *really* made his fortune, but woe is me!"

Barks continues by saying that he "blatantly violated that rule in at least
one story", 'Lost Beneath the Sea' (US 46): "I not only had Scrooge calling
the old dime a "boodle-bringer," I demonstrated such powers at points in the
story."

Reading through 'Lost Beneath the Sea', I think the dime's luck has more
to do with Scrooge's self-confidence than with any magical powers. I have
some detailed notes on this, but my overall conclusion was that Scrooge has
carried the dime with him for so long, that he has become *addicted* to the
dime's presence. Whenever Scrooge looses the dime, he loses his nerves, his
self-confidence. And then he panicks and leaves his business alone, with
financial disasters as a result.

This would mean that the "powers" of the dime are mostly the results of
Scrooge's self-fullfilling prophecy, sometimes catalyzed by coincidences.
(Coincidences like unexpected movements of the world's economy.)

In 'Lost Beneath the Sea', Scrooge loses his mind whenever he hears about
losing his fortune. He doesn't do anything to turn the tide.

In Barks's dime synopsis for Rosa, adaptated by Blum/Mota, Scrooge has
similar panicks. But after a while, Scrooge's state suddenly changes,
saying: "Luck! I didn't make my fortune by being lucky. I made it in
the old-fashioned way! By hard work." And so, he decides to go back to
the hills, making a new fortune *without* Old Number One. This appears
to finally debunk the dime's "boodle-bringer" powers. But as soon as
Scrooge is sure of this explanation, Barks added a final twist...

And that twist seems to build a bridge between the two concepts of the
dime as "boodle-bringer" and the dime as "a memento of the way Scrooge
got his start".

Personally, I'm pleased with that bridge. In the past, I've rarely liked
stories with Old Number One as "boodle-bringer". The main reason was that
I didn't like Scrooge's over-emphasized neurotic behaviour in most of them.

Nowadays, Barks's synopsis, or at least my interpretation of it, seems to
explain both Scrooge behaviour and his loss of fortune. And so, it gives
me a way to understand Scrooge's character in such situations. He's just
running after his own self-fullfilling prophecy, in such cases.

I'm curious what people think of these suggestions.

BTW. See my previous email for more details about Barks's synopsis and its
comic book adaptation by Blum/Mota.

--- Daniël

"Take your bulb horns and go back to Bulgaria!"

hint #1: "The Love Song Of A Bulgarian Tree Toad!"
hint #2: "My word! What UNUSUAL answers!"
hint #3: "Yoo hoo! One - two - three! Testing!"