Who is Douglas McDuck?

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Sat Apr 24 15:37:08 CEST 2004

I've been wondering about a character who appeared a couple months back
in Gemstone's Uncle Scrooge 327--Scrooge's cousin Douglas McDuck. As far
as I can tell, Douglas has never appeared in an American comic before. Is
he a Romano Scarpa creation? Did he come into existence in the sixties,
like Fethry? Or did the story's author create him just for this story? If
he's been around for a long time, what are his antecedents? Reading his
dialogue, I couldn't decide whether his accent was Scotch or American
"hillbilly." The way he dresses seems to indicate he's a hillbilly, but
his first name and relationship to Scrooge would seem to indicate he was
at least born in Scotland. Any info on this character?