Who is Douglas McDuck?

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Mon Apr 26 12:54:19 CEST 2004

Daniel J. Neyer wrote:

> I've been wondering about a character who appeared a couple months
> back in Gemstone's Uncle Scrooge 327--Scrooge's cousin Douglas
> McDuck.

I'll quote myself from a previous posting
(http://stp.ling.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2002-November/020838.html):

> This character was created by Stefan Printz-Påhlson and Vicar and
> first showed up in D 5560. According to SPP, the character's first
> name was Douglas. Douglas' second appearance (as far as we know) was
> in my story "Gall in the family" (D 99252), where I in my synopsis
> implied Douglas' and Scrooge's fathers were brothers. (And SPP has
> since decided that Douglas' full name is Douglas McDuck.) However,
> since the relationship between the fathers was only implied, there's a
> possibility Douglas' actual relationship with Scrooge will turn out to
> be different. I (or SPP) still haven't made a decision on that,
> though.

("Gall in the Family" is the Egmont title for the story that Gemstone
called "Gold Foolery".)

If I remember correctly, in D 5560 (a Scrooge story with the poetic
title "Visits Cousin") we learn that Scrooge and Douglas left Scotland
together to search for prosperity in the New World. When they arrived in
the Klondike, they at one point were traveling down a road, only to find
it splitting into two. Scrooge wanted to go in one direction, Douglas in
another. So they split, and Scrooge went on to find gold and become the
World's Richest Duck. Douglas, on the other hand, didn't fare as well...

By the way, it should be pointed out that there are apparently more than
one Douglas McDuck out there. Look at listmember Gilles Maurice's
impressive Duck Family Tree here for more on that:

http://goofy313g.free.fr/calisota_online/trees/myducktree.html .

Lars