OT -- It's getting wet here...

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 6 15:27:58 CEST 2004

HANS WROTE (4 times):

> Sorry, but since I'm working in a water company, I really have to
> well as bottled water coming from source. Bottled natural water is
> incomparably better than tap water, as each source of water has a
> unique arome that you can't find in tap water. Surely you can also
> get good water without bottled better, but not as good. Wether the
> price is too much, or delivery not easy, then... this is another
> problem.

AND I REPLY:

Hans, what mail reader are you using?  I notice that your recent posts tend
to repeat.

Just to clarify, I was not putting down the distinctive taste of true spring
water.  Having been spent my childhood summers on a family farm and enjoying
water from a natural spring, I can attest to the fact that carefully
packaged water that is not altered from its natural source can be very
tasty.

However, I also worked for a bottled water company for a time, and that
water was nothing more than tap water run through a chiller.  And that is
what most Americans are purchasing at the store -- the same water they can
get from their faucet has simply been put into plastic bottles by soda
companies cashing in on the popularity of a marketing fad.

I won't accuse your message of being spam (even if it did make up 50% of the
Digest), but I think the consumer who drinks the water can better determine
the difference in taste than the person who needs to defend his livelihood.
To me, most bottled water tastes practically identical to the excellent
water that comes from the Louisville Water Company.  I've visited many
cities and towns across the US and Canada, and usually the water is just
fine.  Some locations (yes I've tasted Houston's bad water) don't fare as
well when it comes to public water companies, and in those areas I admit to
buying bottled water to make my coffee and tea.

But a blanket statement that says bottled water on US supermarket shelves is
inherently better than water from my tap is absolutely nonfactual.  But I'll
drop the subject now before we get into an argument over whether gasoline is
better in 5-gallon cans or straight from the petrol pump.

Dan