DCML Link - [Danger: Danger: Your Neighbors May Be Aliens (No... Really!)]

Travis Seitler stravis at gemstonepub.com
Fri Aug 6 20:51:10 CEST 2004

Lookie - the list is being "Scooped"! (See the third paragraph...)

Danger: Danger: Your Neighbors May Be Aliens (No... Really!)
Industry News, Scoop, Friday, August 06, 2004

<http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=5930&si=121>

As of Wednesday (August 4), the creepy-crawlies are among us-and they aren't
who you might expect. They're not robot monsters, they're not brain-bats,
they're not even little men from Mars. They're Donald Duck's roommates. And
he doesn't know it!

We're talking about "Men in Back," a modern-day classic by writer Dave
Rawson (Chiaroscuro) and artist Toni Bancells. Our dashing duck is desperate
for cash, so there's nothing to do but remodel his garage as an extra room
and rent it out. The tenants he gets seem perfectly normal... most of the
time. But "Arthur" and "Daniel" aren't really the innocent dogfaced
Duckburgians that they look like. They're really rejects from a highly
dangerous race of alien warriors, the N'arl'Waar. And though they themselves
desire only peace, understanding, and I Love Ruby reruns... their warlike
interstellar brethren hope to use them, and Donald, to take over the Earth!

But Dave Rawson's "Men in Back" isn't just a sci-fi opus. It's also a sort
of tribute to the Disney Comics Mailing List
(http://stp.ling.uu.se/mailman/listinfo/dcml), Internet discussion group for
duck fans since 1992. When Rawson wrote "Back" in 1998, he needed names for
Donald's N'Arl'Waar boarders-and some key Mailing List members of the time
were swiftly drafted into service. Anyone familiar with longtime Duck
pundits Arthur De Wolf, Daniël Van Eijmeren, Harry Fluks, Augie De Blieck,
Katie Sullivan, and Per Starback might see a bit of a resemblance in
Donald's otherworldly friends... or maybe not...

Other interstellar sagas await you further in the depths of DDA's pages this
month. In "Pirates of the Vacuum," writer Andreas Pihl and artist Joaquin
Sanchez make Mickey a scrappy space explorer- and send him into his own
alien encounter together with bandit Pete, sly lawyer Sylvester, and space
sheriff Minnie. Finally we switch from space to dry land in "Stones of the
Kahuna," our issue's final story, wherein Uncle Scrooge, Donald and the
nephews are headed for Hawaii... and a most magical and dangerous treasure.
Pat McGreal (Veils) and "Men in Back"'s Bancells collaborate on a lengthy
and memorable effort.

Join us, won't you?