A New CBL and maybe a FGL

Marvinw marvinw at zahav.net.il
Wed Aug 11 00:30:30 CEST 2004

Hi
----- Gladstone/Another Rainbow *did* consider making a Gottfredson Library
(stated in one of the CBL volumes!), but the economics perspective held
them back from doing so. Plus, I suspect that the library would be
rather damaged by the fact, that some strips can never be published in
anything else than underground publications! That MMIC oddly enough
didn't reprint "Island in the Sky", which Floyd Gottfredson said was one
of three stories, he liked the best. The other two, "Blaggard Castle"
and "Phantom Blot" are included. Would love to read this story!-----

It is true that the Disney Corporation has banned some of their early material mainly because of racial overtones and sterotypes. In the U.S. the film Song of the South has not been shown or released on video or DVD because of racial concerns, but in Britain this film was recently shown on television. However the new Disney Treasure DVD's do present all the early cartoons that were formerly banned. The narrator of these DVD's is Leonard Maltin, a well known film critic, who goes to great pains to explain that sterotypes of black Americans and native American Indians and others given in these cartoons were unfortunately accepted in earlier decades but that we should learn from the past and not hide it. I would assume that the Disney Corporation may now apply this to the early comics of Floyd Gottfredson.
Regarding the story "Island in the Sky", this story is about a mad German atom scientist who speaks with germanized english words mixed together with proper english. Although not reprinted by Dell, Gold Key, Gladstone, this story does appear in a large hard cover album by Abbeville Publishing Company (with Disney copyright) that first appeared in 1978 and has since been reprinted at least once in 1986. The book is called "Mickey Mouse Best Comics" and occasionally shows up on ebay. Otherwise it may be obtained from used book stores on the internet (see Abebooks.com)
Marvin Winitz