Soccer & other stories / Taliaferro & Gottfredson

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 24 20:49:48 CEST 2004

Gary:

>>> You may find it strange, but it ain't so strange from where we sit. An
>>> awful lot of kids are playing soccer here in the States these days, so
>>> a few stories with the soccer theme actually are quite applicable to
>>> our target market.

It still seems odd to me-- and I am naturally biased by my very poor opinion
of  what the sport has become.

I haven't commented on the contents of  the comics yet for lack of  time and
because I am well behind. I have been buying all the Gemston issues and
seen/red some very good non-Barks/Rosa/Van Horn stories. I love Jippes'
style for the Barks Woodchuck stories, and I also love Verhagen's & Rota's,
for instance. More when I can.

I have been just as starved for Disney-comics-in-English as Americans, even
though I could at least read Ron's stories in PM-- the only reason I bought
a copy once in a while.
As many others, I hope there will be vintage Scarpa or even Cavazzano
stories-- I like their earlier styles. Some da Vita stories would be great
too. Oh, and Murry and Moores and Bradbury too, even though, like Barks'
stories, they were well represented in Gladstone / Disney comics.

Would a Taliaferro Library finally be a possibility?
I think we should use the link to Leonard Maltin's site to write and ask him
his help in convincing Disney to lift the ban on Gottfredson's classics, now
they have lifted that on the cartoons. Unfortunately, I have mistakenly
erased the message with the link, so I can't copy it here.

Olivier