Multiple copies and soccer

Bill Beechler tomstrong at comicsfan.net
Sun Aug 29 18:13:33 CEST 2004

Hey, everyone.  I'm a pediatrician living in Indianapolis,
Indiana, USA with my wife and triplet daughters (now 18
months old).

I buy multiples of Uncle Scrooge (my favorite comic book
character), Mickey Mouse and Friends, and Donald Duck and
Friends.  I buy a single copy of every issue of Walt
Disney's Comics and Donald Duck Adventures.  I'm building
a comic library for my daughters...for bedtime stories
and, eventually, to read on their own.  The Gemstone
comics are the foundation along with Akiko, Usagi Yojimbo,
Powerpuff Girls, and Bone.  The extra copies go to my
brother, a fifth grade teacher, who places them in his
"reading corner" in his classroom.  He has various fun
reading there...magazines, books, and comics.  The
Gemstone books are very popular, as are Akiko, Usagi,
Archie titles, Spider-Man, and the Justice League books.
 I was very happy to see the soccer stories as MANY of his
students are avid soccer players and fans.  I think that
tales featuring "kid" characters, like Mickey's nephews,
doing things real kids do (playing sports) are important
touchstones for young readers.  It sucks them into the
comics even more.

So, thank you, Gemstone for bringing back the Disney
titles...ESPECIALLY the unpublished (in America) Don Rosa
stories.  He is, bar none, my favorite contempory comics
creator.  I'm saddened that he has stopped producing art
for American fans due to the ebay problem...although I
understand.  I'm always amazed to see personalized items
for sale.  In my melodramatic mind, I always figured that
the seller must need an important operation or something
and that is why they are selling the items...but greed
probably does play a role.  Whenever we are visiting my
wife's parents in Jeffersonville, Indiana, I look across
the Ohio River and think, "Mr. Rosa is over there,
dreaming up new adventures for Scrooge and company".  I
can't wait to read them.

And, if you ever decide to do art for sale again, Mr.
Rosa, I'll be first in line.

Bill Beechler MD
Indianapolis, IN

--
Visit Things From Another World for the best
comics, movies, toys, collectibles and more.