Don in Greece!?

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at alumni.princeton.edu
Thu Dec 2 08:06:43 CET 2004

[I think I only sent this to Orjan, so I'm resending it to the list. I
apologize if this is a duplicate.]

ORJAN:

> Information was around that Don Rosa visited Greece for the first time
> this fall. Does anybody have a report on his stay there?

Very briefly, Don was here from Thursday, October 28 to Friday, November 5,
giving Greeks even more reason to celebrate October 28, which is a national
holiday.

Don appeared at the presentation of the "Life and Times" book at a large
bookstore in Athens, where I gather that chaos ensued, as people pushed each
other trying to get their copy autographed. (I played it smart, by buying a
copy earlier in the morning, and not attending the event, so I don't know what
really happened.) I think the book sold out on the first day.

Don also appeared at another event, where he "met the fans". Perhaps someone
who attended can tell us what this actually was. (More book signing? A Q&A
session?)

Don gave several interviews, which found their way in various papers. Judging
from what I've read, the articles are full of inaccuracies and
misinterpretations. I think the most inaccurate of what was reported was that
Don's next story will be taking place in Athens and the Greek islands, while
all Don had told them is that this is one of the many stories that he would
like to do one day. (Of course, one can only hope!)

During the weekend of his stay, Don went to Thessaloniki to see list members
Archontis Pantsios and George Balanikas, and got to see some of the
sites near and not so near Thessaloniki.

On his return, I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife, and along with
Dimitris Dimakopoulos from Komix, I showed them around Athens. In just one
morning, we managed to visit the Acropolis and all the surrounding
archaeological sites, even finding time for a coffee break and lunch. I did my
best to overload Don with information that I'm sure he has already forgotten,
by I can't help thinking of that Donald Duck story, where he took a trip
around Europe in 48 hours, and the guide would tell them things like "and here
you see... I'm sorry there's no time to explain, we have to move on".

I gather that the rest of Don's time was taken by being shown around by the
publisher, Mr. Terzopoulos. [I got a glimpse of him: he's much older than I
imagined--probably by the same amount that I've aged since I first started
reading Disney comics. :-( ]

	Kriton.
-----
"Well, Ivan, you're the one in the navigator's seat.  What are you doing?"
"Sir, I am instructed to keep this seat warm until Chekov returns."
-----