Gancio

Luca Boschi totemboschi at libero.it
Wed Feb 18 13:55:34 CET 2004

Hello, David and all!

Eta and Dave just answered to the Ellsworth "Bhezer" issue.

But I can confirm. That name never was used in Italian comics and the minah
bird was baptized Gancio "il dritto" (which means something like "the cool")
from his first translation. The creator of name and nickname is the famous
story man Guido Martina.

> It should really be spelled Bheezer ... derived from the English slang
> word beezer, meaning a big nose. Ellsworth mentions Bheezer as his surname
> in a Bill Walsh Sunday strip.
> Bheezer became "Bhezer" thanks to a typo in a modern Italian reference
> source.

Er... in a modern FRENCH reference, that we italian took as it if were
correct, since we were not allowed to read the original sunday pages (yet),
mostly totally unpublished in our language...

Luca