Strippers

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 15:01:02 CET 2004

Timo:

>> From Eta Beta:
>> There was originally an interesting pebble, or seed there which
>> attracted our poultry's attention, but an eager editor had "cleaned"
>> it off.
>
> Editors didn't read their stuff? At least so it seems. That thing
> would've required visual reading to understand what was going on in
> that picture. Well, maybe those editors were just too busy. Hundreds
> of acetate films going through their hands with nearing deadline. A
> spot is a spot, and it should be removed.

These weren't editors that handled the acetates - or rather,
lithographic films - but strippers. These were craftsmen who set the
films up in impositions to burn printing plates, and one of their many
duties was to check the films for blemishes. Such film checks were
never, ever performed by editors - this was part of the print
production stream, a wholly separate area from the editorial. By the
time the editors saw the results of the strippers' work it was in the
finished printed product, and in the realm of comics - done fast and
dirt cheap - there was no going back to press for anything other than
the most catastrophic reasons.

That periods were not used because strippers might mistake them for
blemishes is, in fact, not the reason for the use of the exclamation
point. Strippers were not idiots - they knew perfectly well what
periods were. The reason periods were not used in the early days of
comics was that the metal printing plates - we're talking dirt cheap
production here - were the lowest grade possible, and the tiny plinths
of etched raised metal that produced periods just had a tendency to
snap off before or during print runs. Exclamation points produced
stronger plinths, so these were utilized instead, and became common
practice.

In truth, the exclamation point could have been retired by the early
1970s, when even the old letterpresses of Spartan Printing were
converted to using plastic plates. But the exclamation point had simply
become part of the established "look" of American comic book lettering,
and it took quite a long time to even begin thinking of utilizing the
period.

For Gemstone, of course, there is the fact that every Barks story uses
exclamation points. We certainly won't be going in and changing them to
periods. So the "exclamation point" look will persist for a while yet.

Gary