When did Barks retire?

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Mon Jan 5 20:33:04 CET 2004

Olaf Solstrand asked:

> According to Don Rosa:
> "But also, Barks retired in 1967, so I can think of $crooge
> living a nice even 100 years." (from Dan Shane's pages)
>
> According to Daniel van Eijmeren:
> "On June 30, 1966, Barks retired" (from the DCML pages)
>
> Which is correct?

Barks retired in 1966.

We had a discussion about this last year.
Arie Fachrisal wrote in a DCML letter from June 4, 2003:

<<
I had the same situation more of the same but i stumbled upon that i thought
Barks last story was made and published in 1966. I asked Don if he had made
an "unofficial" death of Scrooge on 1967 in order for Scrooge to have a 100t
h year. (unofficial because i dont think egmont or any other disney
publisher will allow story of scrooge's death to be made and published). So
i asked Don if he would later change his mind and make Scrooge dead in 1966,
which in my mind, was to create the same "incarnation" of Barks' character
towards his creator. (in simple words, scrooge dead as 99 years old, just
like Mr. Barks).

I got a detailed explanation from Don which i think might be able to answer
ur question:
Don:
"No, I'll stick to 1967. It doesn't really matter when Barks retired, it
doesn't matter when he wrote/drew his final story -- what's important is
when it APPEARED to the world. We don't recognize the anniversary of a
famous book or movie by researching when it was written or filmed -- we go
by the date it was RELEASED. Similarly, you don't celebrate your birthday on
the day you were created, but you celebrate it about 9 months later when you
are born (released). Barks might have stopped producing stories in 1966, but
what matters is that his last story was published in mid 1967."

So i guess that should answer ur curiosity. Barks did retire in 1966 but his
last story was published and made known to public a year later in 1967.

Keep On Quacking,
Arie Fachrisal and a guy named Joe from Singapore.

--Harry.
Harry Fluks  --  TNO Telecom  --  Delft  --   Nederland
h.w.fluks at telecom.tno.nl   --   http://dd50.inducks.org
"Wie ben ik? Wat doe ik hier? Waar is mijn Roddelflop?"