Uncle Scrooge at Webfoot Tech

Matthew Williams kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net
Fri Jan 9 15:31:28 CET 2004

I was thumbing through some old comics a while back, and I think I came
across a bit of Barks Scrooge history that wasn't in "The Life and Times of
Scrooge McDuck" (at least I don't remember it in there).  In "September
Scrimmage" (originally published in Mickey Mouse Almanac 1, 1957), Scrooge
reveals that he played football at Webfoot Tech.  On the second page of the
story, he talks about playing "1870 football."  I'm not much of a football
nut, but I really like the thought of Uncle Scrooge going to college
(especially since I'm a college instructor)!

I was just curious if Don Rosa had ever commented on this biographical
detail.  I' don't own a copy of the "Life and Times" chapter where this
information would have come up, so it might be in there in some shape or
form.  I am also interested in what the rest of you think concerning whether
this biographical detail can or should exist with the other known details of
Scrooge's life.  Could the duck who left home at twelve have spent any time
enrolled in college?  Does imagining Scrooge as a student make us view other
bits of his life differently at all?

Just curious!

Matt